Time in Alberta (Canada)

What is the Time in Alberta (Canada)

The current local time in Alberta is displayed in the analog clock running live above. Alberta is a Province in Canada which is in North America. Canada has many time zones. The zone time in Alberta, Canada is UTC-7:00 hours MST or Mountain Standard Time. However, whenever the DST or Daylight Saving Time is in force in Alberta between March and November, all the clocks are advanced by one hour to give the public an hour of extra day light hour to UTC-6:00 hours Mountain Daylight Time. Once the DST is no more in force, the clock will be reverted back by one hour to UTC-7:00 hours Mountain Standard Time which is also the actual zone time of Alberta, Canada. This is repeated every year almost at the same time in Alberta and all other Canadian provinces following Daylight Saving Time.

Time in Alberta Canada - MapLand Water Areas at this time in Alberta

At this time, Alberta has a land area of 0.66 million square kilometers which is about 6.6% of the total land area of Canada. At this time in Alberta about 19,530 square kilometers area is covered by water. Alberta is one of the three landlocked provinces of Canada. The province extends about 1223 km north to south and about 660 km east to west at its maximum width. The highest point in Alberta is 3747 meters or 12,293 feet at the summit of Mount Columbia in the Rocky Mountains along the south west border. The lowest point happens to be at 152 meters or just about 499 feet on the Slave River in the Wood Buffalo National Park in the northeast of Alberta. And the longest river at this time in Alberta happens to be Athabasca River with a length of 1538 km from Columbia Icefield in the Rocky Mountains to Lake Athabasca.

Population at this Time in Alberta

The population of Alberta was about 2.54 million in 1991. At this time in Alberta, the population stands at 4.2 million people as per census taken in 2015. That is an increase of 1.6 million people in Alberta, Canada just about 25 years. But the population recorded in 1901 in Alberta was just 73,022 people. By the year 1951, Alberta population grew to 939,501. Now you can make a guess the rate of population increase.

Alberta Capital

The capital city of Alberta is Edmonton which is actually the geographic center of Alberta which also happens to be the primary supply and service hub for Canada's crude oil and Athabasca oil sands. Alberta is also the largest producer of conventional crude oil, natural gas and gas products in Canada. But the largest city in Alberta, Canada is Calgary which is about 290 km south of Edmonton. Both these cities have a population in excess of one million. Probably, this is also the reason why a lot of Late Cretaceous dinosaur fossils are also found in Alberta. At this time in Alberta, only 19% people at this time in Alberta live in rural areas and the rest 81% live in urban areas.

Population at this time in Alberta

The census in 2006 found that 2.5 million people in Alberta (79%) speak English which was the most common language. The next language is Chinese spoken by about 3% people followed by German (2.6%) and French with just about 1.9% people speaking it. It is amazing that the next most spoken language at the same time in Alberta is Punjabi which is an Indian language spoken by 36,320 people (1.5%).

Climate at this time in Alberta

The province of Alberta is open to the cold artic weather systems from the north which causes extremely cold conditions in winter with temperatures dipping to below -54 deg C (-65 deg F). Yet the average day time temperaturs hover around 21 deg C to 28 deg C. Alberta also experiences most of the tornadoes in Canada with an average of 15 tornadoes every year.

Tourism at this time in Alberta

Alberta has always been a tourist destinatino from the early twelth century onwards. The main attractions at this time in Alerta are skiing, hiking, camping, shopping, outdoor festivals,and various national parks. Amazingl, about 1.2 millino people visit the Caligary Stampede, which is a celebration of Canada's own Wild West and the cattle ranching industry. And the railway excursions into the Alberta Prairie in the modern times is also a popular tourist attraction even at this time in Alberta with tens of thousands of people thronging for it.

Government at this time in Alberta

The Alberta Government is organised as a parliamentary democracy with a unicameral legislature with the assembluy consisting of 87 members from single member constituencies. The local municipal governments and school boards etc are elected and operated separately which are refered in Alberta as Counties.

Why Named Alberta?

How Alberta got its name is an interesting story. ThisCanadian province was named as Alberta after the Princes Louise Caroline Alberta (1848 to 1939), who happened to be the fourth daughter of Victoria, the Queen of Canada.